The Lagos State Police Commissioner Fatai Owoseni has vowed to cut off the planned protest against the Federal Government (FG) slated for February 6 in the state.
Popular musician, TuFace Idibia had announced to stage a nationwide protest in order to draw the attention of the relevant authorities to the sufferings of Nigerians under this administration.
But Owoseni, who had earlier stated that there was no official request from the protesters notifying security agencies of their plan, said Wednesday that intelligence report indicated that criminals might hijack the process.
Addressing a press conference, the police chief said the command wasn’t ready for that kind of demonstration and as such would not allow it to hold.
“Information reaching us revealed that some hooligan or gangster are planning to hijack the peaceful protest. And as such, we won’t allow it to hold in Lagos.
“We know that Tuface do not have the capacity to contain such a crowd and we will not fold our hands and watch while things go out of hand.
“The Civil Society had said that they do not need police permission to carry out any peaceful protest, but they should also be aware that there might be those who share an opposing view. This set of persons may want to disrupt the peaceful demonstration and would want to attack demonstrators.
“This is why we advise individuals or group of persons who may wish to embark on civil demonstration to inform the police so that adequate security arrangement would be provided.”