The Nigerian Army has debunked reports that members of the Boko Haram sect kidnapped 22 women and girls in the North-Eastern region of Nigeria.
This was revealed to newsmen by the Army spokesperson, Brigadier General Sani Usman on Saturday, April 1, 2017, in Maiduguri.
According to Daily Post, Usman said the story of the kidnap is false, adding that Pulka is heavily fortified.
He said “The attention of the Nigerian Army has been drawn to a news story circulating on Social Media and some mainstream media that suspected Boko Haram terrorists have allegedly attacked Pulka and abducted 22 women, attributing it to an unidentified Bulama as source.
“We wish to state that the report is completely false and should be ignored. For the avoidance of doubt, Pulka and its environs is heavily fortified and there has not been any security breach in the area. Media houses are please requested to always cross check their facts before publishing or broadcasting.”
Meanwhile, the UN Security Council has unanimously adopted its first resolution addressing Boko Haram’s presence in the Lake Chad Basin.
The resolution followed a report of its mission to the region earlier this month.
In unanimously adopting the resolution 2349 (2017), on Friday, the Council expressed concern about the protection of civilians affected by terrorism.
The Council strongly condemned all terrorist attacks, violations of international humanitarian law and human rights abuses by Boko Haram and Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) in the region.
The UN body also condemned killings, abductions, child, early and forced marriages, rape, sexual slavery and the increasing use of girls as suicide bombers by the Boko Haram terrorists.